Driver of the Day 2016

Driver of the Day 2016

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Oulton Park April 2nd

As we have several new drivers this year I thought it would be nice to remind everyone what the driver of the day is all about.

The Driver of the Day (probably now should be Driver of the weekend) is awarded to 2 drivers - 1 from class F and 1 from class R.
It is in recognition of a driver’s performance, improvement, attitude on track, basically any amount of reasons that make a driver stand out over a particular race / weekend, it is an award that anyone is able to win.

Before I get to the award winners from Oulton Park I watched both races from Clay Hill so had a really good vantage point, to say that I was proud of all of you on track for race 1 is an understatement, tremendous clean racing in horrendous conditions where I had fully expected there to be cars parked all around the track where they had spun off.

There was one incident on lap 2 which did make me wonder about the resurrection of the wooden spoon award.

Race 2 will go down in RGB History as best forgotten ..... line drawn underneath and move on but lessons must be learnt as this type of performance does nothing for the respect of the RGB series.

After much discussion Adrian Moore and myself chose for Class F one of RGB’s new drivers - Phil Hutchins, who in his 1st RGB race had a good clean race and brought his Pulsar home in 1 piece in monsoon conditions on the Yokahama A048’s. :o

Class R winner was Tim Hoverd for a strong, clean race and achieving 5th position which must be one of his best results with his Sabre T2A.

Well done both
Heather

Re: Driver of the Day 2016

Postby Heather » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:47 pm

Once more Adrian did a sterling job keeping his eye on the whole of the track watching all drivers and knowing what they were up to .. Brillliant :D (good write up too)

Race 1
Ian Kempson, 7 places made up, race long tussle with Dominic, good clean racing and long over due after all the damage he's suffered, in previous races and seasons. I've seen his nose torn off at least four or five times.

Honourable Mentions
JC for not turning in on the the other leaders at Druids when he ran wide in Paddock, for biding his time and getting the win as a result.
Paul for running up as high as 3rd of 4th I think until eventually get reeled in by Dan and Olly
Matt, Tony Mark Betts, Steven Dean for a Titanic midfield battle
Charlie for an excellent top 10 finish in a new car, its clearly working for him
Dan and Olly for an excellent , clean drive through the field... particularly the way they dispatch the backmarkers, cleaning, but fairly , without bullying them later in the race.
And of course Scot and Matt for Exceptional lap records both below the BTTC times!

Race 2
Mark Betts, for exceptional racing on both days, but bringing it home 8th after excellent tussle with Colin and Charlie.

Honourable Mentions
Dan for another excellent race, to 5th brilliant finish position for him, but contact incidents on the way meant Mark just shaded it
Kevin and Dominic for a race long tussle.
Another monster tussle in the midfield, with Doug holding off the recovering Tim,John W.Stephen, James and Dave W and indeed 4 abreast into paddock with the back markers for 20th was brilliant
Scott driving up to the top 10 from the pit lane, with a damaged exhaust.
and of course another lowering of the Lap record by Matt and running a class F car in 2nd.

Excellent racing all weekend.
Heather

Return to Driver of the Day Award